Drivers Licensing

We are Open by Appointment Only

Click Here To Make An Appointment

Many renewals can be done online.

Online Renewal Here


Please schedule an appointment if your transaction cannot be completed online. All registration renewals and driver’s license renewals must be completed online. Click here for more information

Please arrive no sooner than 5 minutes before your scheduled time, and bring a pen and a mask or face covering.

A maximum of 2 people per transaction is allowed in the building

New Deadline for the enforcement of the Star Card (Real ID) is 

May 1, 2023.


Renewals may be handled in person or through the mail using a check or credit/debit card. Please note that Blaine County charges a $2.00 fee for transactions $80.00 or less and a 2.5% fee for transactions over $80.00 when using a credit or debit card. You may also renew online. ITD charges a 3% transaction fee.

Driver’s Licensing

Driver’s licenses are acquired at the Courthouse Annex Building located at:
219 S 1st Avenue
Suite 109
Hailey, ID 83333

Click Here for Star Card Information

Idaho Traffic Laws

More Information

For written correspondence with the Idaho Transportation Department, you may write to:
Idaho Transportation Department
P.O. Box 7129
Boise, ID 83707-1129
Phone: 208-334-8000
For direct lines to Vehicle Services, please call 208-334-8663
Idaho Transportation Department website

Licensing Information

Anyone who operates a motor vehicle on public roads in Idaho is required to have a valid driver’s license.

Students attending a college or university in Idaho and members of the U.S. Military on active duty and their dependents who hold a valid driver’s license from another state or country and who claim residency in that state or country are not required to obtain an Idaho driver’s license.

Documents Required for Licensing

If you are a new applicant for a driver’s license, instruction permit, identity card, or driver training permit, you are required to provide the following documents:

  • Driver Training Completion
  • Foreign Drivers License (if applicable)
  • Liability Signer if under 18
  • Non-Idaho Driver’s License or I.D. Cards
  • Proof of Age and Identity
  • Proof of Idaho Residency
  • Social Security Card
  • Verification of School Compliance (VOC) if under 18
  • Proof of Legal Presence if not a U.S. Citizen
  • Visual / Medical Certification (if required)

Anyone under 17 needs to be signed up with a driver's training school BEFORE coming in to get a permit.

Please Note: 

Driver Privilege Cards and Certain Class D Licenses are Not Acceptable for Identity

Many states continue to offer their residents “driver privilege” cards, which are intended for the sole purpose of permitting an individual to lawfully operate a motor vehicle (not for identity), while other states have begun to issue their standard class D licenses without the requirement for applicants to prove lawful presence. 

As such, effective immediately, the following states’ class D licenses will no longer be acceptable for proof of identity since the Idaho Department of Transportation is unable to determine the extent to which an applicant’s identity or lawful presence was examined through the issuance of their current credential. Only Real IDs (Star Cards) from these states will be acceptable proof of identity.

  1. California
  2. Connecticut
  3. District of Columbia
  4. Maryland 
  5. New Mexico
  6. New York
  7. New Jersey
  8. Oregon
  9. Vermont
  10. Washington

These states’ standard Class D license and Reals IDs will continue to be acceptable for proof of identity